The Galle Face Hotel is a 5-Star Hotel, situated in the heart of Colombo and is one of the ancientest properties east of Suez. It is located on the sea facing the famous Galle Face Green. The property relishes a great location advantage and provides easy and speedy connectivity to the major transit points of the city such as Slave Island Railway Station (690 meters) and Central Bus Station, Colombo (3.2 km). Built by the Britishers in 1864, borrowing its name from the magnificent “Galle Face Green”, which stretches for a kilometer by the side of the Hotel, along the coast. This hotel has been a visiting ground for various famous personalities including Indira Gandhi, Richard Nixon, etc. This hotel will provide you with the vibe of the colonial era with a hint of modernization.
Located in the core of Colombo City, Galle Face Hotel is a 15-minute drive from Odel Shopping Mall, 3.2 km from Central Bus Station, and just 36 km from Colombo International Airport. It is located on the sea fronting the great Indian ocean enclosed by water and greenery. It offers a picturesque view of the sunset whilst the reflection on the sea makes it stand out. The hotel provides the only saltwater swimming pool in all of Colombo. The Galle Face Hotel embraces its rich history and legendary traditions, so it’s a cherry on top for all the tourists who have a keen inquisitiveness about History.
The comfy, spacious, and luxurious rooms of this hotel make your stay delightful. In addition, the hotel is furnished with elegant pieces of furniture, antique showpieces, big staircases, and art which makes you feel as if you are living in the colonial period. They’ve 156 luxurious rooms with multi-lingual staff and premium amenities (free internet, room service, air conditioning, swimming pool). Depending on your preference you can choose from 60 types of rooms – Scandinavian Suite, Junior Suite Standard, Double Premier Ocean View, Single Land View, Double, or Twin Standard. The hotel oozes old work charm from its impressive ballrooms to its stately hotel rooms. The Hotel is a superb combination of luxury clubbed with world-class service.
Food & Drinks
Whether you crave authentic cuisine or have developed a sudden taste bud for international cuisine, whether you want afternoon tea or exquisite drinks and party, The Galle Face provides you with all. It has four restaurants, three bars, and a pub. Its breakfast is highly rated and most talked about.
1) The 1864 Limited Edition: An on-site fine dining restaurant with indoor seating, and a stunning view of the ocean. Serves dinner only.
2) King of the Mambo – A Mediterranean restaurant with Cuban soul specializing in seafood. You can drink, dine and dance with excellent cocktails, indulgently scrumptious food, and music that will get you dancing all night long. Opens daily from 12 noon to midnight.
3) Firebeach – A new concept of Beach Club with a miscellanea of lounging, dining, and music all-in-one experience with a contemporary Sri Lankan barbecue menu.
4) The Verandah – An on-site open restaurant. For more than a century and a half, The Galle Face Hotel has tried to keep the best of its Ceylonese heritage intact. Their elegant afternoon tea, their crab curry is famous island-wide, and their scones are the best in Colombo. This restaurant is the venue for a soothing ‘Afternoon Tea on the terrace.
Breakfast – 6.30 am to 10.30 am
Lunch – 12.30 pm to 2.30 pm
High Tea – 4.00 pm to 6.00 pm
Dinner – 7.00 pm to 10.30 pm
5) Travellers’ Bar – A buffet restaurant specializing in International cuisine. They serve the most refreshing of quenchers, freshly brewed tea. Opens daily from 10 am to 12 am.
Also Read: TSG’s 12 Best Luxury Hotels In Sri Lanka
6) In On the Green – An English pub with live music, sports viewings, and quiz nights during the week. Opens daily from 4 pm to 12 am. Happy hours are offered.
7) Chequerboard – It is always ravishing for early evening drinks and a nibble on the Checkerboard while overlooking the ocean.
8) The Pool Bar – It’s a beach bar. If the splendid ocean view juxtaposed against the blue pool doesn’t take your breath away, the stunning food at the Pool Bar will. It is recommended for couples.
Prices found for a night stay for 2 adults start from USD115, excluding taxes and fees, with the suites (rooms consisting of a bathtub) being the costliest among all. Prices are subject to change. The dining (restaurant & bar) costs are not included in the above price. You can also relish the only saltwater swimming pool in all of Colombo, the Croquet game, as well as the lawn, The Museum, and The Balinese Spa, and take a historic walk in the hotel with the help of a hotel guide to make your stay more memorable.
Safety & Security
- The tourists can sit and relax and leave their security in the hands of the hotel staff because it has all been taken care of. There’s a safe deposit box at the front desk for and an In-room safe to keep your things secured and protected while you are off on your voyage.
- Every corridor in this hotel is equipped with CCTV cameras.
- The hotel staff follows cleanliness and guest safety measures. Disinfectant is used to clean the property. Mask, gloves, and sanitizers are available to the guest.
- The hotel follows social distancing via contactless check-in and check-out. Cashless transactions are available for all kinds of monetary exchange.
- Guests can rest easy knowing there’s a fire extinguisher, a smoke detector, a security system, a first aid kit, and window guards on site.
- Individually wrapped food options are available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and also through room service to follow the social distancing norms.
Places To Visit Near Galle Face Hotel
1) Galle Face Green – It is the central point of the city. Take a walk at the beach during sunset to soak in the beautiful view of the setting sun. Galle Face Green has come to be known as the hub of finger-licking street food, especially the food at Nana’s. The best dish at Nana’s is the Kottu. Kottu is made from leftover foods like Sri Lankan curry, chapati, vegetables, fish, and meat, all chopped and made into a dish full of flavor and spice. It’s 6 mins away from Galle Face Hotel.
2) Tuktuk Safari – Experience a private 4-hour evening tour of Colombo with a private driver-guide to jostle around the lively streets. They’ve alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks for their guests to enjoy the ride. Stop for local cuisines and street food tasting sessions such as ‘hopper’ pancakes. 2-passenger tuk-tuk comes with a cooler, 2-way radio, rain cover, sound system, and hotel pickup and drops facilities. It is 5-10 minutes from the Galle Face Hotel.
3) Crescat Boulevard Mall – It is one of the most favored shopping malls in Colombo adjoining the most luxurious business hotel ‘Cinnamon Grand‘. Housed in the two-storeyed mall are designer shops, boutiques, bookstores, a bistro, a food court, and even a supermarket. You can get anything over here whether it is a daily essential or for a special
occasion. It is 4-5 minutes away from the hotel.
4) Temple Of Sri Kailawasanathan Swami Devasthanam Kovil – It is the oldest Hindu Temple in Colombo dedicated to the gods Ganesha and Shiva. The temple has been around for over two centuries. The temple has been created by skilled temple architects and sculptors straight from India and maintains the classic Hindu temple look that is rarely seen in Sri Lanka which act as an add-on to raising the curiosity of tourist. Clicking pictures are prohibited inside the temple. It is 8-10 minutes away from the Galle Face hotel.
Galle Face Hotel Colombo is an excellent choice for travelers looking for a 5-star hotel in Colombo. The rooms are comfortable and the breakfast is a must-try. A smooth check-in/check-out process, flexible policies, and friendly management garner great customer satisfaction for this property. The location, view, and history of the hotel will please the old-world Victorian in you. Just keep in mind that pets aren’t allowed in this hotel.
On your next visit to Colombo, I’d exhort you to stay at The Galle Face Hotel (which can be a little pricey) and if you’re low on your budget it’s always a great idea to grab a bite at the hotel’s on-site restaurant ‘1864 Restaurant’ which obviously makes a reference to the year the hotel was built. Dining experiences are legendary and a ‘must do’ whilst in Colombo.
I was invited by Srilanka Tourism Promotion Bureau on a FAM Trip but as always, all opinions are my own.
Stay tuned to our Blog or follow @ThatStunningGuy on Instagram to get the latest updates.
More Best Hotels In Colombo
Colombo Sightseeing Offers